Friday, March 2, 2012

Ishibashi Farm: "Going Out of Business Sale"

As hard as it is for me to even type these words, I promised my friends at the Tom T. Ishibashi Farm that I would publicize their upcoming sale.

 

Tom T. Ishibashi’s farm stand and farm is located at Torrance Airport and is the last farm in Torrance. Those who have followed me and/or know me, know that sadly, Tom passed away in May of last year.

He was the last farmer from a Japanese American family that has farmed in the South Bay since the early 1900s, mostly on the Palos Verdes Peninsula and in Torrance. The Ishibashi family have been farming the area at the Torrance Airport for the past 60 years and sadly, with his death, their farming legacy is gone too and the farmstand, etc. will be gone shortly.

As I posted back in October, they have lots of farm equipment and supplies for sale and they have decided to just hold a big "garage type sale" to get rid of these things if possible. I will be there to help them and to document the day. I am a farm writer after all, and as heartbroken as I am, I need to do it.

So, here's the details:

When: Saturday, March 10, starting at around 8 a.m.

Where: Tom T. Ishibashi Farm Stand

Address: 24955 Crenshaw Boulevard, Torrance, CA


In March, he would always have Iceland poppies and usually his strawberries were already showing up.