Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Having a Sustainable Valentine's Day

Gerbera Daisies, Seaside Flowers, Torrance Farmers' Market


I don't make it a practice to celebrate Valentine's Day since I don't think that it's really meaningful to declare one day a year an official "love day," and then the rest of the year, just forget about being loving.

I prefer to think that every day we can all be loving, and am fortunate enough to be married to someone who shows me all year long that I am right by doing so many nice things when I least expect it! I know, way too sappy but hey, even I can get that way sometimes.

Anyway, I also think that we can be loving to our environment and to our farmers all year long. But, if we are going to celebrate the big "love day" my motto is let's give them their proper loving on Valentine's Day too.

One way to do this is to buy organic, sustainable flowers instead of the usual, big agri-business, slave labor raised roses that are so popular.

The easiest option is to buy fresh flowers at your local farmers' market, where you know who grows them and how.

Another option for those too busy is to buy them from an organic, sustainable grower online, like Organic Bouquet, (http://www.organicbouquet.com/) a company that strives to be environmentally and socially responsible, and that ships organic, sustainably grown, fresh-cut flowers and bouquets to customers and retail outlets across the United States.

To find out more about organic nursery products, and Organic Bouquet check out this story I did for Organic Producer magazine,
http://www.organicproducermag.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_id=76

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish we had a farmer's market nearby where I could buy fresh, local flowers. However, we're deep into winter so all the farmer's markets shut down. I am going to avoid those slave labor roses though that waste so much resources being shipped from Ecuador and South America.