Thursday, February 21, 2008

Farming Stories

This is Snooks, Richard Hudson's Calf from Hudson's Dairy Torrance

I can't believe it's been almost a week since my last post. Time is flying with my book deadline looming and running around to get photos and stories from local farmers.

I think that once I get all caught up, I will post individual stories here, they are so fascinating and it's incredible to hear what a tight-knit farming community the South Bay was. In fact, so many of the people I talk to still keep in touch with one another and know what everyone is up to.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pleasantly stumbled upon your blog while trying to conduct some research on "this milkstand we used to buy milk from in Torrance" (how I tell people) when I was a young boy. I just remember the milk would come in those cool, 1-liter glass bottles. The milk was soooo tasty too. I vividly remember how sweet tasting it was. I can't wait to read your 'Farming in the South Bay' blog. By the way, do you know why did Richard Hudson got out of the business? I'm sure with today's buzzwords of "local farming", "certified organic" etc, he would make a killing. Thanks, again for your blog. It's great. Keep up the good work!

Wayne

LA Farm Woman said...

Hi,

Thanks for visiting! Well, Hudson Dairy was a victim of "progress," in 1965, the City of Torrance outlawed dairy cows and so they operated for many years as just a store, buying milk from larger dairies until that was no longer profitable or possible in the city.

It's too bad, you are right, all of the dairies, farms, and ranches we had would do so well today with the "Buy Local" movement and because we don't know what we are getting half of the time.

So much for progress when we have no local food sources left.

Anonymous said...

i and some of my friends worked at Hudson Dairy in the early 70's

LA Farm Woman said...

I would love to hear your stories about working at Hudson Dairy!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, Mr Richard Hudson, passed away on January 30, 2021 - we will be missed dearly

LA Farm Woman said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear this. Don't know who you are but thanks for letting me know. As you can see I have not written on this blog in a very long time.