Friday, September 21, 2012

The Gift of a Learning Garden




Our garden is thriving in this heat!
For those who have actually kept visiting this blog, you might have wondered where I have been. I haven't written anything here in over a month. There are several reasons for this. Not only am I still working on a book, I have also embarked on a hands-on project that has taken up a great deal of time.

I have had the privilege of creating a mini, urban farm for my local hospital at a local community garden plot. That has meant that I have not only been planting, maintaining, watering, harvesting this "farm," but have been leading classes and work days for our participants.


This is literally a learning garden for all involved, especially me. While I have been teaching classes in various conference rooms at the hospital, to finally be working in the ground and at a garden has meant that I need to change everything. And, while it involves more work, it has been so much fun!

So, instead of writing about "bigger" issues or the latest in LA urban farming, I am going to post a few photos both from and of our garden. I hope to get back to blogging soon!

Perfect eggplant      




Cosmos attracting our beneficial pests
Our harvest from September 10